Improving your ojas for glowing skin.
Within Ayurveda there are three vital essences.
- Prana (breath)
- Tejas (fire) and
- Ojas (vigor).
Together these three vital essences sustain human life, support healthy Doshas (Vata, Kapha, and Pitta). maintain the 7 vital tissues and support the 3 elimination pathways.
I think, the best way to view these essences is by seeing them as a preventative measure to imbalance and dis-ease. Ensuring each is healthy is a wonderful recipe for glowing skin.
Today, I'm just going to focus here on Ojas (vigor) and come back to Prana and Tejas in another post.
How do you know, if your Ojas is out of balance. You'll be missing a subtle glow to your skin and an inner peace or bliss. You may feel that you look older than you should, and may be getting sick constantly.
There are many factors that may deplete your Ojas, some include:
- Poor health habits
- Poor sleep habits
- Bad hygiene
- Overworking, fatigue
- Not viewing your life as it is, instead viewing it how you'd like it to be.
How to increase your Ojas
Here's some simple ways to help you increase your Ojas:
- Reduce stress
- Having a healthy diet
- Give yourself a massage each evening using warm sesame oil (Abhyanga)
- Focus on good breathing
- Accept your life and forgive anybody that needs forgiveness
- Spend time in nature
- Practice gentle exercises like yoga
- Focus on the positive in your life, and aim to have a healthy outlook.
- Cut back or eliminate cigarettes and alcohol from your life.